More than 500 youth visit Tuba City Church of Christ every year to help the church reach out to the community via work projects, Vacation Bible Schools, one-day youth group events or through other services.
It is through these week-long visits that Tuba City Church of Christ serves a dual purpose - exemplifying God's love in the community while training visiting Christians to work in a mission field.
The following guide may help first-time groups plan their visit.
Please contact Tuba City Church of Christ with any questions or concerns.
* Each group member is assigned a bunk in one of the church's hogans. These hogans are styled to mimic traditional Navajo housing in that they are octagon-shaped.
* Preparation for service projects
* Work projects can include anything from repairing houses, clean-up public areas, to building roads
* Regular church services
* Devotionals at various scenic locations
* Morning prayers
* Prayer sweats (a cultural experience)
* Vacation Bible schools
* Youth-group events
* Nightly camp fires
* Sightseeing to attractions, such as Grand Canyon or visiting the local Indian flea market (a favorite)
* Appreciate dinner (local church members cook famous Navajo tacos)
Suggested packing list:
* Luggage – Medium duffle bag or gym bag (If any of you can combine luggage we
Need you to) is sufficient. Tuba city is about serving others – not trying to impress with the dress.
Please dress modestly – no underwear is to show or pants on the ground or reveling clothing.
* No tank tops for girls or guys
* T-shirts are best and recommended – sleeveless is ok.
* A light Jacket
* No low-cut tops, no short shorts,
* Shorts need to come to mid-thigh, cargo shorts recommend
* Shoes that you can work and hike in – they will get dirty.
* Clothes for prayer sweats – you will get soaked with sweat!
* Underwear and Socks
* Towels and washcloth
* Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, sun block, sunglasses, pillow, sheets and sleeping bag
* Work Gloves, Brimmed hats are good for working
* Shower shoes (thin flip flops)
Important to remember:
* Eat three times a day and DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS (preferably water)
Below are videos some of our visitors made about their visit to Tuba City Church of Christ.
Please note: The opinions expressed in these videos are the sole property of their creators and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Tuba City Church of Christ